We take part in the Government led Health Promotion Initiative – ‘Healthy Schools’ Scheme. This involves the school focusing on two health related topics each year.
Previous targets for our school have been-
- PHSE and Citizenship Curriculum
- Healthy Eating
- Physical Activity
- Emotional Health
- The Environment
Some of the outcomes of being part of the scheme are –
- The setting up and running of a School Council.
- An annual ‘Healthy Heart Day.’
- A ‘Playground Friends’ volunteer group.
- The promotion of playground games.
- Bi-annual ‘Good Health Week.’
- Annual re-cycling initiative.
- Taking part in ‘Walk to School Week.’
Regular visits from the community including –
- School Dental Service
- Local Community Policeman
- Health Visitor
- School Nurse
- Life Education Van
The school has community links with –
- The Dorset Wildlife Trust.
- Dorset Adult Educational ‘Family Talk’ courses.
- Breakfast Club.
- Parent – Toddler Group run in the Nursery by Nursery staff.
- Monthly ‘drop in’ session with the School Nurse.
- After school ‘Fit & Fun’ club.
- Healthworks as part of Healthy Schools Scheme.
- Weymouth and Portland Borough Council re-cycling initiatives.
- Weymouth College e.g. PE department helps with Healthy Heart Day.